Tips and tricks

How long must you wait before filing for custody?

How long must you wait before filing for custody?

Some state family codes require a child to reside six months in the state or 90 days in the county before a child custody suit can be filed. If you have moved with your child, you may have to wait before you become eligible to file in your new state or county.

Can you file for full custody without an attorney?

Filing for child custody can be done without an attorney so long as you have helpful instructions and solid resources. If you are wanting to file for child custody without an attorney, follow the directions below to successfully complete that task.

How to win full custody of your child?

Work With Your Ex. When trying to win custody,it’s important to show a willingness to work with your ex.

  • Exercise Your Parental Rights. Make sure you exercise your parental rights especially if you’ve been granted visitation rights with your kids.
  • Request In-Home Custody Evaluation. If you’re concerned that your ex will try to present a negative impression of your home life,request an in-home custody evaluation.
  • Recognize Perception Is Everything. One of the hardest things to grasp in a custody battle is the fact that it doesn’t really matter if what is being said about you
  • Learn About Family Law. Read up on the child custody laws in your state so that you will know in advance what to expect.
  • Keep Documentation. In situations where you honestly believe your children would be unsafe with the other parent—for example,because your ex has a history of domestic abuse—you should carefully document
  • Find an Experienced Child Custody Lawyer. Even if you don’t think you can afford a lawyer,set up a free consultation to discuss your options.
  • READ ALSO:   How can I help my son with anger issues?

    How can I get full custody of my child?

    If you are a parent attempting to obtain full custody of your child, you will have to open a family law case, petition the court for full custody, and come to an agreement with the other parent or go to court.